Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A new chapter......October 3, 2012

It is as grandmothers that our mothers come into the fullness of their grace.
Christopher Morley

In January we found out we're going to be grandparents.  It was a surprise for ALL of us, but we have learned through the years to get through the shock, put a plan in place, and move ahead doing what needs to be done.  Now it is starting to become more real. We are having a granddaughter, which I know nothing about since I raised three boys. YIKES!!

  But what has really been on my mind lately is-What kind of grandmother will I be?  This is what I want, I want to be a beloved grandmother.  You know the one that her grands love to come visit.  I hate to tell this, but I have some anxiety that I may not be because my mother never really bonded with any of her grands but one.  They loved her and she loved them but she wasn't BELOVED.  Now my mother-in-law is the best grandmother.  She wasn't one that always bought every little hearts desire for them, she offered something much better, her time and love.  She was forever piddeling around with all of the grands when they were little. She would do just about anything with them or at least watch them do it.  She always took time out for them.  She loves each one dearly and will do whatever she can for each.  I do want to be like that, but I don't want to be one of those that think their grand kids can do no wrong and think that they are being mistreated when they need discipline.  In my head I know that is not helping a child, I just hope my heart realizes that once I become a Grammy, a grand ma-ma, a granny (ummmmm, no way!!), a nanny (another no way!  I am too young for that! ;) a............. Do you have any suggestions as to what my new grandbaby should call me?  I want it to be young (well..... sort of young) and cute!


                                pic from etsy.com, Amy James photography
                                      The baby is not mine, but she sure is cute

2 comments:

  1. You will be an awesome, quirky, BELOVED Bee-Bee! I can't imagine anyone who would be a better cookie making, story reading, bug seeking, finger painting, homemade playdoh molding grandma than you. That little girl will be blessed though you and Scotty. I just can't believe we could have reached this stage of life! Weren't we just telling them to sit up straigh, wash their hands and take the worms OUT of their pockets before going to bed? Sigh..... Do you remember talking about the day we would be like the women in Steel Magnolias? I think we're there....love ya!-----Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ursula StricklandMay 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

    Rhonda, in the fact that you even write this with this desire, it shows that you love your family and this new being that will also be a part of this family. Good luck on the new girl thing. I had girls and would be completely lost in your shoes with boys. Congrats and cant wait to see how much you love this. My dad said that grandkids were so much better he should have had them first. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete